lunes, 2 de mayo de 2011

World´s Finest: Road trip...

It´s been said that he doesn´t sleep, that he´s always looking out for the good citizens of the whole world even though he lives in the USA, that he has a kind heart, so, naturally  I grew up admiring him. It made me feel safe to know that out there there was someone who could fix it all. I read all the books, saw all the news, followed every word on tweeter of people that had just seen him. Lucky bastards all of them.
So I grew up and got married and pretty much lived a normal life; I have 2 daughters, Sandra and Kelly (who actually love that gritty character the Gotham Gazette always writes of)…ha! Who would have known? I even bought dvd´s of Superman news and footage to show why Superman, to me, Is a better hero but to no avail…
So, anyway, me and my family planned a trip upstate just to get away from my beloved city and their terribly loud horns and lights and noises at least for a while…to get away from it all and just spend a great time! A little fishing and wood and the occasional bear would not frighten me at all (but just in case we rented a huge thick Oak Tree House).
We started the trip with maps and all and I kept thinking that it would be so cool to have flying powers so I would see if everything was ok on the road ahead.  Sandwiches were eaten at lightning speed and Kelly kept saying she had to go to the bathroom as soon as we left the house so…I had to stop in the first gas station.
I found this lil gas station and when she saw it she started screaming “PEE! I HAVE TO PEE, DADDY! GAS STATION! GAS STATION! PEE…I HAVE TO PEE!”. So my wife gives me the look and I roll my eyes as she goes: “go buy a lollipop for the kiddos and maybe something for us later tonight huh?”. She gave me this mischievous look I adore…I smiled back and went inside the gas station little market.
As I opened the doors I noticed this Caucasian guy on one of the aisles and I didn´t like the way he stared at me, like I had found something I should never have found. He began to frown and said:  “Stoopid stoopid man” in a low voice…as I looked at the cashier he held his arms up and there was another guy just in front of him with what appeared to be a gun. The first thought I had was for Tessa and the kids and that they better not come in…next thing I know they come in. So the first guy got really nervous seeing that there was more people inside the store and began shouting at us…”You stoopid people! All of you together now! Behind the counter now and empty your pockets!” My little girl was scared yes but not that much which was terribly frightening to me…was she in shock? What was she thinking? As I looked over Tessa made eye contact with me and whispered “it´s alright…it´s alright…we´re safe…” She started to cry silently but kept telling me “we´re safe…”
“STOOPID PEOPLE WHY DID YOU HAVE TO STOP RIGHT NOW! EVERYTHING WAS GOIN´ACCORDIN´T´PLAN BUT YOU HAD TO COME IN DIDN´T CHA? WANT TO PLAY HEROES AND SAVE THE WORLD HUH? DO YOU WANT TO DO THAT? WELL….DO YOU?” As he said that he shot me. All the things that go through your mind while you´re at gunpoint you will never know until you experience it. My wife and kid started to cry as loud as they could as I covered my body (yeah like that is going to stop a bullet right?) but…nothing happened to me.
“You should never have done that sir” was all I heard while I uncovered my face only to find this huge red cape standing in front of me.
 “Oh God” said the burglar.
“Religion has nothing to do with this” said an eerie voice which already had the other burglar tied up and my wife and both kids protected…I didn´t get to see him though because the guy that used his body to block the bullet aimed at me made a quick move that kinda made me blink…all I saw was a purple blur and next thing I know a crushing sound like bending metal and the two burglars are now tied together.
I run to my family and hugged them and everyone kept silent for a while (even the guy on the register) until someone asked “Are you all right sir? Is everyone ok?”
I turned around and the Man of Steel was standing right in front of me. He looked at me as if waiting for a positive response and I said: “Yes…yes…thank you so much”.
“Anytime. And… sir? Have a safe trip.”
“I will. Again, thank you.” I had a huge smile in my face that made my little girl giggle and my wife grin. I was in shock and said nothing for a while.
When I started the car again, Sandra was so excited she and Kelly were hugging like waiting to go to school so they could talk to their friends. So Kelly goes “Dad you talked to Superman! You really did! It was Superman!” And then Sandra said “that was cool…but way cooler was how Batman swept the other guy so silently you didn´t even notice he was there!” As I turned around to look at her and tell her she was wrong I suddenly remembered the eerie voice….it was the Batman allright. I had that feeling.
Damn. I never got to say thank you to him.
But, everytime I look at how healthy my family is, I thank them silently.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario